Name:
Location: Las Vegas

Stephan, Betsy, Sean, Selina, Nicole, Theresa and David have been dreaming of this trip for years.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

My first train

Believe it or not, today's ride was not only my first on a European train, it was my first on any train. What a civilized way to travel. The trip from Frankfurt to Bern took a little less than 4 hours and the entire trip was completely enjoyable. There was some confusion at the Eurail office. The agent first told us the train we wanted as well as subsequent trains were almost completely booked. When she discovered separate seats, 2 in non smoking, 4 together in smoking and 1 alone in smoking, I agreed. After our tickets were checked a few minutes into the trip, and just before I was completely enveloped in smoke, I explored and discovered the non smoking car in front of us to be almost completely empty. We changed seats and discovered there had been no reservations made for any seats in that car. I'm not sure where the misinformation came from, but the reservations were a waste. Our plan is to keep things loose enough and take our chances.

Marthahaus in Bern is a sweet hostel. We had a chance to walk through the old capital and see the once great 15th century cathedral now part of the schismatic Swiss KristKatholic Church. They split with the Church in the 19th century but still consider themselves old catholics.

The graffiti is out of control. I actually admired much of what we saw along the train tracks. Even some of it in the city had to be admired. But after seeing every single building on block after block, it starts to look like folks just don't care. I guess the novelty of living among amazing centuries old architecture wears off. The urban artists do not distinguish between a 50's era cinder block and steel and a Gothic masterpiece from the 1400s. If I were mayor of the Swiss capital, I'd form a taskforce and turn these kids loose on a great big protest mural or something.

Beer update. Remember Lowenbraü (note the handy "ü" symbol available on this keyboard) Lowenbraü was a cheep domestic disguised as an import. Well, I had a Lowen Weis, brewed in München since 1383. Tonight, tonight, let it be Lowen Weis.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home