Name:
Location: Las Vegas

Stephan, Betsy, Sean, Selina, Nicole, Theresa and David have been dreaming of this trip for years.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Joyful Madness

Hey Daddy,

Of course you can post what I wrote in my last e-mail if you want, if you think other people would want to read it! No prob..

WYD is still goin' strong of course! Oh my gosh, it is madness and chaos, but it is unlike any other place that is insanely crowded, because all of us know that we are here for the same reason, and everyone is so ecstatic about it that all these hectic places are still completely joyful! Yesterday for instance, the three of us decided to start trying to head back to our little village around 7, because it is an hour from Köln by train, and there was some kind of dinner in Erpel (our village) at 8 or so. The train stations were so packed that we stood outside of one of them in a HUGE crowd for probably almost an hour and never even made it up the steps into the station. It is INSANE. But instead of all the young people freaking out or being upset, everyone just started in on the different cheers of all the countries. "I-TAL-IA" and "ES-PAN-A" and even "U-S-A"... every time another country would start in, all the other pilgrims would join them in cheering for their country. There is SUCH patriotism and national pride here, but it brings all of us together. It doesn't divide us. When I see it, it gives me so much hope, Dad. I know this is only a million people out of the whole planet... but to see such unity and comeraderie between countries that have pasts of being bitter enemies totally renews my belief that we can indeed have peace on earth. Its the GOOD NEWS!!! and I have never felt it more powerfully.

So... yesterday we sat on the banks of the Rhein and greeted our "Benedetto!" It was so beautiful. A perfect warm and sunny day, and the pilgrims stretched forever, packed onto the sides. Thousands upon thousands of elated young people from absolutely every last corner of the globe sang and cheered and waved with their whole hearts as he went by on the boat. We love the Papst!!! YAY!! Yesterday before we went to the river, we went to catechisis in the city of Bonn, which was awesome. We had a really fabulous cardinal (I think...) speaking to us, and he gave a talk about the Eucharist which brought a clearer understanding to it than I have probably ever had. Then he took questions from us. Kids came up with some truly thought provoking and intense ones... they got right down to it, and he answered every single one so brilliantly and clearly. It was a really great thing to go to overall, just because I think everybody learned something, and most of us learned a LOT. Then it culminated in a celebration of the mass which was wonderful and had great music. And to make the whole thing all the more perfect, we happened to attend the same session as the other group of American kids (Montana) who we had met in the Days of Encounter and totally hit it off with. We saw them and all of us started cheering and running and we just ran into a huge mess of a group hug. It was the BEST! So then we spent the rest of the day hanging around with them, which was fabulous. Also, we called some of the german kids and met them too, so the group was reunited a bit. it is crazy... even in so so many people, we have run into friends time and again. Its awesome. I love it! We've been spending most of our time in Köln, although I guess there is a lot going on in both Bonn and Dusseldorf as well. It is so fun being in the thick of all the action.. the cathedral is absolutely unbelievable. I know you all saw it right before you went home, and I'm really happy that you did so you can know how... unique and great it is! I think it is probably the most beautiful thing in all of Germany. No matter how many times we walk next to it during the day (which is a lot!) I always stop and stare at it with my mouth hanging open in amazement. I want to soak it up so I can always keep the memory of it locked with me until I see it again. We saw so many churches over the last month, dad. So many different ones. So many stories behind them. So many different styles and sizes. But I think that this cathedral, which they just call the Dom, is my favorite one. I still catch my breath every time I look at it! And it is such a symbol on top of that. It is in the WYD logo that we see a billion times a day on everything, so it is a symbol of the manger, the place where we come from all over the world to go into that chapel and adore Him. I love it.

Tomorrow: TO MARIENFELD!!! Woo hoo! The excitement and energy here is already out of control, and it is mounting by the second.

I love you with all my heart, Dad. Give Mom and Theresa and Dave (and Tina!) my love too! I miss you all. Today in mass we prayed for all of the people who had worked and sacrificed so much to allow us to come. Thank you so much, Dad! This has been the greatest gift I could have ever dreamed of. I know it took a lot on your part... more than I will ever really know, I'm sure... and I appreciate it with every single fiber of my being. I love you!

Love,
Selina

PS: If you think there is anything in this letter that you want to pass on (or all of it, whatever, it doesn't matter!) go ahead, k?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ph. said...

Dear Selina, Nicole and Sean!
I am very glad finding tracks of you in the web! I searched from time to time but until now I wasn´t able to find You. Shortly after WYD I wrote to you, but I didn´t get a response, so I give you, my dear friends in Jesus Christ, now my E-Mail address. Well, I am not sure, if you will discover this comment, but if it would happen, I couldn´t express the awesome joy to find You again!
My address: phillip.hohaus (at)gmx.de
My best regards!
Praised be Jesus Christ!
Phillip from Goslar
Ps: I am on progress in the way of belief and did´nt change my plans from three years ago. Sancte Antonius quaere eos, porta amicos traheque ad me!

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home